August 23, 2011

What made you give me the stone

A wise man who was travelling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day he met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise man opened his bag to share his food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the man to give it to him. He did so without hesitation. The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime.

But a few days later he came back to return the stone to the wise man!

"I've been thinking," he said, "I know how valuable the stone is. but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone."


5 comments:

Nilima ;) said...

I have one doubt in this...
Why the man, who took the stone from the wise man would have thought so after taking it away? As he took it away because it was precious. So what would have made him think on these lines that the sacrifice, that the selfless nature of the wise man is more precious than the stone...

Nikita said...

@someone u no ;)....
it's like you getting something without much efforts for it....
this feeling makes you go in self-realization as to though I got it...
but I forgot to value something which had a more better value attached to it....
for example,
you are hungry...
your Mom gives you food but you find a toy in her hand and ask for that coz at that moment it appears to you more tempting....
but later someday you would realize that it was the generosity of your Mom and her selfless attitude which was far more worthy to have from her.....

Cheena said...

soul touching.. really

Viren Shah said...

Great Little Story

SRILAXMI said...

Nice story... thought provoking...

And i believe one tends to value those things more which are got after putting in a lot of efforts...!

SRI