December 29, 2009

Plagiarism

Imitation, they say, is the best form of flattery. But plagiarism is very different from simply appreciating by imitating.

I stumbled upon a link to a newly created blog through Orkut and just a preliminary reading made me realize that the words and style are so very mine. It took me another 3 minutes to locate my blog post from where the other post had been apparently 'inspired'.

I am proud of my blog and whatever little I can write on my own. To see one's words being lifted verbatim, without any credit being offered to the original writer, is certainly not a pleasant sight. I am all for giving writers their due credit and insist on buying original copy of a book rather than a cheap, pirated, photocopied version of the same. Plagiarism is also a form of corruption.

Friends, please do not ever indulge in anything like this. I know of an instance where an analyst I personally knew was sacked from an organization for 'borrowing' from another report. This instance may not be as serious as professional plagiarism, but is still in the same league. If you intend to use a text that you like, ask the original writer before you publish it somewhere. As an unsaid rule, he MUST be the first to know about the reproduction of his work elsewhere.

It is heartening to know that my blog is followed and read. I am pleased to see many readers stopping by and reading whatever I have to offer through my writing. Yet, to see something like this leaves me perturbed. I sincerely hope that such instances do not hit me or any one else who has the patience to write something original.

P.S. 1: I have not resisted telling him what I thought of this incident.

P.S. 2 (updated later): I am told by the blogger that it was a mistake and that he had copied the text long back & did not remember where he had taken the text from! I am still keeping this post with an intention to hope that such things are not repeated, not just with my writing but any original writing.

2 comments:

Some Little Greens said...

whatever he has done is totally wrong .. but there is one thing .. he may be able to copy your posts, but he'll not be able to copy your blog followers :)

Nilima ;) said...

Some people are alive because it's illegal to kill them, seriously...